Saturday, April 16, 2011

How important is salt in weight loss ...

How important is salt in weight loss

I know dozens of women who have reduced their weight by the low-salt method. Like all other diets, it is a method to be considered only if approved by your own physician. Water retention is certainly often a serious cause of overweight.

The usual low-sodium diet calls for liquid restriction, also. The regulation reduction diet is followed, omitting practically all salt. Some salt will be in food, of course, especially if you eat in restaurants. But no extra salt must be added. Besides this, no liquids must be taken at meals. No liquids at all! Between meals, liquids may be taken, the amount depending on your own condition and your own doctor.

Vivian Blaine, the beautiful young actress, whose figure is exceptionally slender and attractive, told me that her successful weight reduction is the result of liquid restriction. She weighed 150 pounds and was told she was too fat for the stage or Hollywood. She dieted down to 130 pounds, then couldn't lose another ounce,

How important is salt in weight loss

"The studio thought I was cheating," she told me. "I wasn't at all. I ate what I was told. But I drank a lot of water and juices, with meals, too. Then another doctor put me on a water-restricted diet. I drink only four glasses of water a day--and not with meals. My weight is 115 pounds--which is just right for me. Of course, I'm still careful of my diet--and of the amount of liquids I consume."

Four women prominent in public life have recently lost twenty pounds each by giving up salt--and water-- at their meals.

If you are on a low-salt diet and can't enjoy your food without the flavor that salt gives it, I can recommend a number of substitutes. There are dozens of substitutes on sale at the health shops. The one I like best is "Diasal," manufactured by E. Fourgera, and consisting of potassium chloride and glutamic acid. "Fortissimo Brand Seasoning," made by Isrin-Oliver, "Gustamate," made by the Arlington Chemical Company, and "Co-Salt," made by Cassimir Funk Laboratories, are all good, too. Not nearly as good as real salt--sodium chloride--but very satisfactory for seasoning, when sodium is not indicated.

No comments: